Still here. Just peeking out (with Bagel!) to see how everyone is...Us. Were good.
It's been an emotionally draining week. Spaghetti has been the airport gopher for his family coming in. His cousins, and then his parents and Grampa flew in early from their vaca to Arizona to see Uncle T.
Update? He's sadly still here. Sounds morbid to say, but he is just barely here. The hospital told the family to make arrangements already. I've never heard that before, but I guess. The wake is tomorrow (Sunday) and the funeral is on Monday. (pending)
We did go up to see him on Tuesday, I had Queen out early, then Aerial came over and watched the kids for us. It's about a 45 minute drive, we picked up water for Aunt N. Cuz told us she needed some. And asked us not to leave her mom alone.
We didn't hesitate and spend the afternoon and evening with Aunt N. and Uncle T. he's in a single hospital room, it's overseen by Hospice. He didn't look like himself, his hair was all slicked back, and he didn't have his glasses on. In the 11 years I have been around I have never seen Uncle T. with out his glasses on.
We sat and told stories, shared memories, and cried. At one point Aunt N. told a story about how Uncle T was a Vietnam vet and how he was not welcomed home. But 20 years later a parade was thrown for him and the local vets. The whole family got involved. Cuz and her brother Little T were even in it. Spaghetti's mom & dad brought there BIG video camera (I do believe it was the 80's) and taped the whole thing.
After we told the story, suddenly Uncle T moved. He started to move his left arm (can't use his right side) like a hug. The nurse came by minutes later and Aunt. N asked her if he was in pain. The nurse said no, his morphine drip was good.
She said that often times he can hear us. He's not awake, more like a dream. But she said sometimes they hug at us, at our voices. Whether this is true or not. It made us happy to think that Uncle T. was listening the whole time.
Then we chose to talk as if he was listening. Sharing more stories. Uncle T & Aunt N's close friends drove down from Wisconsin. It was over 4 hours. After listening to R's stories, we found out they were more then just neighbors at one time. R and Uncle T were friends in H.S. and went through some scary things together. Knowing that they have had over 40 years of memories made me understand the 4 hour drive alot more.
I haven't been back to the hospital since. Cuz and Banjo are here, and so is Cuz's brother Little T, his wife, Spirit and son, Col are here too. I am curious as to what today will hold for Spaghetti's family. If his Uncle will pass, or will he continue to suffer. Maybe he waited till everyone was here with him.
So Wednesday, the day after visiting Uncle T. my dad was scheduled to come over and start project "Pixie Hollow" for Bagel. We had a busy day of painting her room a pretty purple, while Queen played with the kids, and made us food.
About 20 minutes into work, I dropped my paintbrush and ran over to my dad and bear hugged him. He hugged me back. He knew. He knows that I am thankful for everything he does, and all the zillions of ways he has helped me. He knows that I see him in Uncle T. it hits home for me to know that someone that I think of like my dad is dying. And it hurts just as much to know that Cuz, Banjo, Little T, and Spirit will be with out.
Carrots gave me a big hug, and said "I'm not going anywhere if that is what all this is about." Tears running down my face I say "You can't leave me dad. I need you. I love you" to break this emotional boo hoo fest he says "I can't leave, we've just started Bagel's room." I then said "Well if that's the case I will keep you booked painting rooms forever!" Thanks for the hug dad, and thanks for everything.
Rest in peace Uncle T. I love you.







1 comment:
I'm so sorry for your loss- or soon to be loss, I suppose. It's hard to believe how fast some people go. Praying for your family.
Post a Comment